Convicted murderer, Todd Ice, dead from heart attack in Missouri

Todd Ice, who was convicted of a horrendous crime and became the youngest person ever placed on Death Row, has died. Ice reportedly died of a heart attack  at the Jefferson Regional Medical Center in Crystal City, Missouri on his birthday last Thursday. He was 47.
Ice was convicted in the brutal 1978 slaying of 7 year old Donna Knox and the brutal attack of her  mother, Sheila Knox in their home in Bowen. Sheila was slashed and left for dead, but was able to recover and tell police who attacked them.
The once quiet  small town where people did not lock their doors at night, changed forever.
In 1979 Ice was convicted in Wolfe Circuit Court for the murder and was given the death sentence.  At the time of the crime he was 15 and an A student with an I.Q. of 137. He became the youngest person ever put on death row in the United States.
However, in 1983 the Kentucky Supreme Court passed down a ruling overturning the sentence and conviction. The  decision left many in the eastern part of the state outraged. An attempt to recall at least two of the justices failed however.
Since then the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that juveniles cannot be given the death penalty.
Ice was retried in Rowan Circuit Court in 1986. He  was found guilty of manslaughter after his attorney’s, Kevin McNally and Gail Robinson, presented evidence that he was insane at the time of his crime and that his family had a history of mental illness. He was found guilty of manslaughter and given a 20 year sentence. Unknown to the jury, that sentence made him eligible for parole immediately.
However, after receiving thousands of letters from eastern Kentucky, the parole board had him  serve his time. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal he amassed over 200 books while in prison, but his mental health reportedly deteriorated. At one point the attorneys who defended him became afraid of him. Upon his release in 1996, in which he was not welcomed in Covington and taken back to a hospital, he gave an interview in which he stated he was medicated and did not believe he would kill again.
However, a psychologist who spoke with him disagreed and even tried to write a book about Ice. The book, as far as anyone knows, has not been published.
Ice was not welcomed in his parent’s home town of Muncie, Indiana either and went to Festus, Missouri. He had a sister living there according to press reports from the area.
(UPI reports were also used in this story.)